Happyfull, that peaceful place between wanting more and having too much.







Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Sometimes I inappropriately laugh in the midst of uncomfortable situations

I really love to fish.  

Just for the fun of catching something...I always release, sometimes I take a photo first (close ups can make the fish look REALLY big).  But maybe if I caught something really humongous I wouldn't release it.  Maybe I'd even have it preserved and mounted...I guess I'm not sure.  It hasn't happened yet.

I don't get to fish very often.  Usually just once a year when we rent a cabin.   Before our vacation this last summer I took the kids out to purchase some new gear.  Along with some new cooler rods we decided to buy a tackle box and a "Starter Kit".  Now I had always been a simple hook and worm girl, but in this kit there were all sorts of fancy hooks, lures, bobbins, fake worms and some stuff we didn't even know what to do with.  The kids and I were pretty psyched about the kit.  The possibilities seemed endless.

Once we got to the cabin, the beach, the paddle boards and the water toys completely overshadowed fishing for the kids.  

Not for me though, I was focused on finding a fishing hole.  The resort was large and spread out, there were lots of docks and boat launches.   For a few days I moved from dock to dock but just never seemed to have any luck. I didn't catch anything.

Corey could sense my disappointment so he surprised me by getting a fishing map of the lake, talking to some locals about where to catch "the big ones" and renting a beautiful pontoon boat. The next day we were going to head out for half a day on the lake and I was going to be able to fish until I caught something.
I was ecstatic.

The following afternoon I packed a huge cooler full of food, organized all our fishing gear, packed swimsuits for the kids and we headed to the boat.  It was a gorgeous day and the pontoon boat we were on was new and fancy.  Corey, his map in one hand, drove the boat in the direction of  what he deemed the perfect spot.  I was excited about the cooler full of stuff so I started getting snacks and lunches out.  I quickly realized that no one was very hungry yet and the combination of wind and Corey's fast driving just caused all of the food to blow around.  I spent the next ten minutes picking chips off the floor and trying to grab paper plates that had gone overboard.  
The kids were already bored.

Finally we reached the ideal fishing spot, the one that was sure to be full of hungry fish...but lo and behold other people had heard about this spot and it was a little crowded.  Corey, undeterred, continued to tool around...anchor...then pull up the anchor...then back up...then circle around...convinced that he could wiggle us into the perfect spot. 

By this time the kids were fighting and whining.  I gently tried to tell Corey that it really wasn't about fishing in the perfect spot, it was about us being together.  All I really wanted to do was fish...and remember, I just want to catch something.  Anything.

Corey begrudgingly agreed to stop all of the boat maneuvering and lowered the anchor.  
In an attempt to get the kids excited about fishing and being on the boat, I took out the fishing kit and asked them to choose something fancy to fish with.  After they chose, I got their hooks all ready and casted out for each of them.  I would get one child all set up and inevitably the other one would need some assistance...and then the other one would need help.  And so on and so on.  Somewhere during all of this Corey decided that he would also try a little fishing and after perusing the cool kit we had he decided that he would fish with the extra fancy lure that had a three pronged hook, yellow feathers, and some sort of whirly thing on it.  He went to work on his rod and I continued to work with the kids.  I really wasn't paying any attention to what he was doing or where he was fishing, he is a grown up afterall.

Somewhere between putting on a worm and casting out one of the kids' lines it happened...WHACK...and time stopped, or at least really slowed down.  Corey had somehow managed to hook me right above my left eyebrow with his super tough, super fancy three pronged lure.  I started screaming, "YOU HOOKED ME, YOU HOOKED ME"!!!!  I was so afraid that Corey wouldn't understand, think that the hook was caught under the boat somewhere and start trying to yank it free.  I pressed my hand to the lure and put pressure on my forehead...

Corey's face went white/green and Soleil started crying hysterically.  Slowly Corey walked over to me and surveyed the damage.  It didn't look good...and it felt even worse.  One of the three hooks was embedded pretty far.  I asked him to try to take it out...he gingerly tried and gave up.  That's when I not so gently told him to get me the heck back to the resort.  Now.

Soleil was still screaming.  She screamed all the way back to shore.  

The resort owner met us at the dock and after taking a quick peek at my forehead told me to get my butt to the ER.  This is when I started laughing.  It was totally inappropriate, there was a fancy shmancy hook dangling from my forehead and all I could do was laugh.

Since Soleil was still screaming, I opted to drive myself to the ER...alone.  

Have you ever seen a Cohen Brothers movie?  Maybe Fargo?  Somewhere back on the boat I swear I got into a Cohen Brothers vortex and began living out one of their movies.

So I'm speeding down these rural roads, all the while the feathered lure whipping me in the face.  And all I could do was laugh.

This story could go on forever.  I could tell you about the 80 year old heavy breathing doctor that had hands that shook or about how the nurse misdiagnosed me as having a hook stuck above my elbow?!?!  

But this story has gone on long enough...


And really I just wanted to share these photos from that memorable day.  

To answer some of your questions before you even ask them:

1. Yes, I did keep the hook.
2.  To remove it they cut it off and then pushed it through, making a second hole.
3.  There is no scar.
4.  I still love my husband.
5.  I forgave my husband.
6.  I went out fishing the very next day.  Alone.





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Give me your thoughts...