Happyfull, that peaceful place between wanting more and having too much.







Thursday, July 28, 2011

Not a Girl Scout

I recently read a blog by a woman that is in recovery.  She mentioned that one of the things that keeps her on track and healthy is getting out into nature.  As I read about her nature fueled endorphin rushes I immediately negated it as an option for me.  I wasn't a Girl Scout + I don't like to camp = nature must not help me.  But for some reason the blog and that particular wellness tip stuck with me.  

This past weekend while in Northern Wisconsin I had the opportunity to spend an afternoon Kayaking down a river.  It was peaceful and exciting all at the same time.  Looking around, I saw so many beautiful things.  And for those two hours I never once worried about my kitchen floor, my daughter's extra needs, or my family's finances.   I felt strong and healthy and comfortable enough to take my shirt off and kayak in my bikini top.  I think I even stopped sucking my stomach in. I told myself that I looked like one of those women in the Athleta catalog...and I believed it.

Since Kayaking, I've been trying to pay attention to other times when I feel like that; when the everyday brain weights feel lighter, or almost not there.  When I think less about what I wish I had and more about all that I have.  And I'm surprised to be noticing that nature seems to be part of this.  It was right there, I just didn't see it.

I'm grateful for that blog (if only I could remember where I found it or what it's name was) because it has helped me see something new in myself.  Kind of like someone cleaned off the mirror that I've been looking at myself in.  I've realized that I don't have to like to camp to feel calmed by nature, and that I can really appreciate the simple beauty of organic things without ever earning a merit badge. 


1 comment:

  1. Awww, I LOVE you!!!! Reading this inspired me and reminded me of those sweet times where I get lost in the "happyfull" of my own life and set myself free from concern and over-thinking.

    Thanks for sharing part of your heart with us through this blog.

    Xoxo to my wonderful, wonderful friend! Love you!

    P.S. I bet you looked even hotter than a girl from the Athleta magazine! "If I was a boy, I would totally date...!" Remember that?!?! :)

    ReplyDelete

Give me your thoughts...